Skip to main content

Top 10 Mariah Carey Songs

I thought I'd do another Top 10, this time of songs by my favourite singer Mariah Carey!


1. Honey

This is my favourite Mariah song of all. It was on Butterfly, the first album I bought in 1997. On Butterfly her music was a bit more R'n'B and hip hop than older albums, or rather a carry on to Daydream which had more of an R'n'B style than previous releases. Butterfly basically expanded on that and it was during the making of this album that Mariah separated from her first husband Tommy Mottola, which allowed her more freedom with her music and generally.





2. Heartbreaker (Remix) feat. Da Brat and Missy Elliot

This is the remix to Heartbreaker, which came out in 1999. I like the original too but prefer the remix. The video also features Snoop Dogg. This version is on both Rainbow (1999) and The Remixes (2003).




3. Fantasy

Old style Mariah. One of the songs that I used to like when I was younger. Fantasy is from Mariah's album Daydream (1995). There's also a remix featuring rapper ODB.






4. I Still Believe Pure Imagination Remix feat. Krayzie Bone and Da Brat

Another remix! The original I Still Believe is good too but I like this one better.

Update 19/11/18: Mariah's original version I Still Believe is a cover of the single by Brenda K. Starr (Mariah was Brenda's back-up singer when she started out in music), and the remix is also influenced by Pure Imagination from the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!


                                  


Visit this post for the other I Still Believe: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2013/09/and-more-mariah-songs.html


5. Thank God I Found You (Make It Last Remix) feat. Joe and Nas

I don't like Thank You God I Found You with boyband 98 Degrees much, I prefer this version. It appears on The Remixes (2003). It sampled a song from the 80s, Make It Last Forever by Keith Sweat.

Update 19/11/18: This is the original Make It  Last Forever by Keith Sweat which is sampled in Mariah's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKgCLVl-bGY



                               



6. So Lonely (One and Only Part II) with Twista

So Lonely is a follow on from One and Only. I like One and Only too but So Lonely is my favourite out of them. Both songs appeared on the re-released Platinum edition of The Emancipation of Mimi (2005). It never came out as a single, so there's no video.



                                   





Update 2/1/14- I posted the wrong video before (just realised now! lol), I posted Twista's version- So Lonely (One and Only Part 3)- which Mariah didn't sing as much on! So this is the right one and you can also listen to Twista's version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wl6n_QXG6s



7. Can't Let Go

Can't Let Go was on Mariah's second album Emotions (1991). I don't actually have this album, so I don't know all the songs on it but I like this one.




8. If We feat. Nate Dogg and Ja Rule

If We is from Glitter (2001), the album that accompanied the film of the same name. Many people didn't like this album but I liked it better the more I listened to it. As for the film, I didn't think it was great but it wasn't that bad! lol. This wasn't a single either.






9. I Know What You Want (with Busta Rhymes and Flipmode Squad)

Mariah featured on  this song for Busta Rhymes, which was on his album It Ain't Safe No More (2002). It also appeared on Mariah's album The Remixes.



                                 
                              
10. Dream Lover

Dream Lover is from Mariah's album Music Box (1993) and is a poppier style than the others on this list.







Hope you like the list! I'll do a follow up with more Mariah songs in the future. :)

For more Mariah videos, visit this link: VEVO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25th Anniversary of Mariah Carey's Butterfly Album

My favourite singer Mariah Carey recently released a 25th anniversary edition of her 6th studio album Butterfly. The original album was released on 16th September 1997 and featured songs such as her hit single Honey, The Roof and My All. It was actually the first album I ever bought (on cassette tape, lol) and I still consider it one of my fave MC albums. :) Butterfly was the first album that Mariah had more control over and it is R'n'B, rather than the pop (and later pop/R'n'B) of her previous releases. It also has pop and hip hop influences.  The expanded edition contain 8 extra tracks (the original standard edition has 12)- a duet version of Whenever You Call with Brian McKnight , a new take on The Roof featuring Brandy , live versions of Butterfly and My All, acapella versions of Fourth of July and Outside, an Amorphous Anniversary Club Mix of Butterfly (with DJ Amorphous ) and a remix of Honey (Another Taste of Honey David Morales Mix). I had previously heard the

New J.Lo and JoJo Music

Two singers I like, Jennifer Lopez and JoJo have new music out, so today I'm sharing it on the blog! Jennifer Lopez- Baila Conmigo First up is Jennifer Lopez, whose new song is the Spanish language Baila Conmigo (Dance with Me). It's a cover of the 2018 single by Dayvi featuring Kelly Ruiz . Watch the video with the original mix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZM52M6cfSA Baila Conmigo (J.Lo version) came out on 10th October. This is an audio but if there's a music video later, I'll update the post. :) Want more J.Lo? Check out these posts: Spanish language songs: Dame Lyrics and Translation: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2016/04/jennifer-lopez-dame-lyrics-and.html Video for Amor, Amor, Amor: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2017/11/weekly-music-video_15.html Spanish song Al Anillo and Dinero:  https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-jennifer-lopez-music.html 50th bday post: https://starsparklex.blogspot.com/2019/07/happy-50th-b

Debut XG Mini Album

Japanese girl group XG have released their 1st mini album. It's called NEW DNA and was released on 27th September. XG (whose name is short for Xtraordinary Girls) made their debut in March last year and have brought out 7 singles so far- Tippy Toes, MASCARA, LEFT RIGHT/SHOOTING STAR double single), GVRL GANG , TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. The first 3 songs (or 4 including the double single) aren't on the mini album. The concept behind NEW DNA is that of being a "new species" free from conventions and limitations .  Although the group is Japanese, their creation was inspired by Korean music and they are based in South Korea. They have released songs in English so far and have been described as a global group and "X-pop". NEW DNA consists of 6 tracks- HESONO, X-GENE, GVRL GANG, TGIF, NEW DANCE and PUPPET SHOW. It is an R'n'B/pop mini album with influences from other genres, such as K-pop, dance and hip hop. My favourite song is PUPPET SHOW. I al